The Department of Developmental Services paid over $1.5 million over the course of two years for a child who had moved to Massachusetts, according to a new audit of the department. “The department paid approximately $1,569,480 for services from January 2017 through June 2019 for an individual who was not ...
School Choice Benefits
This is National School Choice Week, celebrating the options that many parents across the country have for the education of their children. School choice can refer to public charter schools, public virtual schools, school vouchers, tax credits, and homeschooling. Let’s look at some of the benefits of school choice:
- Public schools save money when students go elsewhere for learning opportunities
- Education can be tailored to students’ learning pace
- Public charter and virtual schools often have smaller classrooms, so there is a lower student-teacher than in traditional public schools
- Alternatives can accommodate students with disabilities, health issues, or busy schedules
- Students in low-performing schools have the opportunity to move to higher-performing ones; this benefits racial minorities in inner-city districts
- Higher graduation rates and test scores
Rep. Craig Fishbein, R-Wallingford, held onto his seat in the 90th district by a very tight margin after Wallingford learned of a mistake in Tuesday’s vote counting in which one district did not count any votes. Wallingford officials realized the mistake after the Office of the Secretary of State requested ...